Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sour Cream Chili Bake, the Taste of My Childhood

I had no intention of blogging about tonight's supper, but making it always stirs up memories, so I felt like I should share it with you. There won't be any step by step pictures since this was pretty last minute, though I did manage to snap a photo with my phone of my son's plate before he took it from me.





Sour cream chili bake is a cheesy, comforting casserole that my mom has made for as long as I can remember. It was the first real meal I ever learned how to cook. And every year for my birthday, when I got to choose what was for supper, that was what I chose. Every year, without fail. While my taste buds have expanded, and it's no longer my "favorite" meal, it still holds a special place in my heart. And it's still pretty darn yummy! Not to mention super easy, and super cheap. Two very important qualities in a meal when you are busy with work, little ones, and life in general!

I have been making this since I was around 9. It isn't something I have written down, or that I have exact measurements for (I use handfuls, not cups). So I'm going to do my best here, as far as amounts go, to make yours taste like mine.

Sour Cream Chili Bake

1 lb. ground beef
1 16 oz. jar picante sauce (I use Pace, medium)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 15 oz. can kidney beans (light or dark, doesn't matter. I used pinto beans tonight, as that's what I had.)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 1/2-2 cups crushed Fritos corn chips
1 8 oz. container sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef in a skillet, drain. Pour into a mixing bowl and add in the picante sauce, tomato sauce, beans, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and the crushed Fritos. Stir. Pour into an 8 inch baking dish, cover with foil, and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from oven, and spread the sour cream over the chili mixture. Top with remaining cup of cheddar cheese, and sprinkle with a few whole Fritos. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5-10 minutes, until hot, melty, and bubbly.

Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.

I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!

Happy Wednesday!

Mrs. Wannabe

No comments:

Post a Comment